Polka Theatre Young Voices Site Visit
8th November 2019
Since the start of Summer 2019, ITC has been on-site at Polka Theatre, an independent theatre and performance venue serving the community of Wimbledon and South London.
The project is a £3.9m remodelling and extension, with an overall aim to ensure that Polka continues to be a thriving and vibrant space for their audiences and participants for decades to come.
In October 2019, ITC were delighted to accommodate a visit from the Polka Young Voices panel – a group of children aged between 4 and 12 years old. These children used the theatre space before construction began, and will continue to use it in the future, so it’s crucial that they remain involved in the remodelling journey.
On the tour they told us that they are looking forward to ‘a bigger playground’, ‘bigger theatres’ and a ‘bigger cafe menu’. Their guides were Tim Foster (from Foster Wilson Architects), George Bogucki (ITC Site Manager), and the Polka team.
Highlights of the Polka rebuild include:
- An extended Adventure Theatre with increased capacity for Early Years audiences
- A centralised Creative Learning space offering an expanded programme of play-based activities
- A new multi-sensory garden
- Their first onsite rehearsal studio
- New toilet and baby change facilities
- A designated buggy park
- A newly-expanded destination cafe
- An improved outdoor play area
- A redesigned indoor play area
- Significantly improved accessibility
- A broader range of hire space